Jason Carlson is the Partner who oversees Grace Lawyers’ Queensland practice in strata law, building and construction, management and caretaking rights, dispute resolution, by-laws and levy recovery.
Jason's experience includes:
- Advising bodies corporate on compliance and governance issues arising under the Body Corporate and Community Management Act and its regulation modules.
- Acting for all stakeholders in the strata industry in dispute resolution matters, including before the Commissioner’s Office, QCAT and all Queensland Courts.
- Acting for numerous bodies corporate in assignments and variations of management rights to secure improved performance-indicators and balanced caretaking duties.
- Acting for bodies corporate in building defect matters, including Court litigation and reviews of QBSA / QBCC decisions about the rectification of defective building work.
- Acting for and advising principal, primary thoroughfare and subsidiary bodies corporate regulated by the Integrated Resort Development Act and the Building Units and Group Titles Act, and also assisting other bodies corporate regulated by the Mixed Use Developments Act and Sanctuary Cove Resort Act.
In 2016 Jason was elected to the Board of Directors of Strata Community Australia (Qld) Limited, the peak industry body, and has been a member of its Legislation Committee since 2013. He regularly presents seminars and training programs to body corporate managers, committees and other stakeholders on body corporate issues.
In 2015 Jason was listed as a finalist in the Dispute Resolution category of the Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30, an awards program that identifies the best young lawyers across Australia. He was one of only two finalists in that category from Queensland, and the only finalist practicing in strata and body corporate law.
Jason has recently been appointed to the Independent Review Panel for the Building Management Code of Australia, which sets measurable standards for best practice in the strata and management rights industry.
Jason is a member of the following industry bodies:
- Board of Directors, Strata Community Australia (Qld) – 2016 to 2018.
- Strata Community Australia (Qld) – Legislation Committee – 2013 to 2017.
- Independent Review Panel of the Building Management Code of Australia.
- Australian College of Community Association Lawyers.
- Queensland Law Society.